System Performance Engineer - Workload Management
Location: San Diego, California US
Requisition Number: 205025
Position Title: Product Support Engineer IV
System Performance Engineer - Workload Management
Location: San Diego, CA
Teradata is creating an exciting new team within our Global Support Organization that focuses on performance incidents. Teradata Support Engineers are key members of an expert team focused on solving customer issues and delivering a myriad of deep-level technical solutions to both internal and external audiences. The teams support each other and work together to solve complex problems and improve processes and tools. If you have a desire to work on the cutting edge of technology and face challenging problems, then this position is for you. It offers an excellent way to apply and grow capabilities, create and nurture relationships, and contribute to Teradata’s Success.
In this role, you will be engaged in the detailed performance analysis of Teradata system-level solutions and customer system performance issues. Performing analysis, understanding resource utilization/consumption, as well as troubleshooting issues related to platform architecture, configuration, sizing and much more. You should possess strong system-level analytical skills and an excellent understanding of methodologies and tools used to monitor and identify system performance issues.
To be successful, you should have a deep understanding of the Teradata database and its associated tools and platforms, along with the ability to clearly articulate support decisions and findings. You should be able to assess all aspects of a customer's Teradata Analytic environment as it relates to workload management, optimization, capacity and performance and be able to make recommendations on general performance and optimizing the workload.
What You’ll Do
- Take full ownership of customer system performance incidents
- Be recognized as a technical authority amongst peers and co-workers
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert applying a deep understanding of the Teradata database and workloads to customer performance problems
- Actively engage in investigations and analysis of DBQL, Res Usage, query plans, statistics, and workload definitions
- Analyze customer workloads and provide input to existing and for new Teradata Active System Management (TASM) workload definitions
- Work with Teradata Engineering and the field on problem resolution
- Drive discussions with team members, other PST’s, Managed Services, Product Development, and the Performance COE
- Provide new and existing feature assessments and advise on how customer performance will be impacted
- Provide thought leadership around tools and automation
- Strong knowledge of Teradata database architecture and Teradata-specific database concept including problem recreation
- Solid personal management skills to efficiently manage tasks around multiple problems simultaneously
- Knowledge and experience with scripting/programming languages
- Experience with performance analysis tools such as; top, iostat, sar, puma, awtmon, DBQL, TASM, Resusage, perflook, perfstats, PDCR, WLM or the ability to quickly learn
- Working knowledge of PMCOD/WMCOD/CPUCOD, tdsched, TIM, Tcore, CDS
- Familiarity with compression, fallback, W/RI, performance characterization, sizing, storage, vconfig, and cliques
- Working knowledge of Teradata's System Management applications (Viewpoint, Teradata Active System Management)
- Teradata Certified Master
- Experience working in a mission-critical, 24/7
Benefits You’ll Enjoy
- Our total compensation approach includes a competitive base salary, 401(k), strong work/family programs, and medical, dental and disability coverage
- Teradata is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and commits to hiring returning veterans
CountryEEOText_Description: Teradata invites all identities and backgrounds in the workplace. We work with deliberation and intent to ensure we are cultivating collaboration and inclusivity across our global organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
City: San Diego
Community / Marketing Title: System Performance Engineer - Workload Management
Job Category: Customer Support
With all the investments made in analytics, it’s time to stop buying into partial solutions that overpromise and underdeliver. It’s time to invest in answers. Only Teradata leverages all of the data, all of the time, so that customers can analyze anything, deploy anywhere, and deliver analytics that matter most to them. And we do it at scale, on-premises, in the Cloud, or anywhere in between.
We call this Pervasive Data Intelligence. It’s the answer to the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of today’s analytics. And it's the way Teradata transforms how businesses work and people live through the power of data throughout the world. Join us and help create the era of Pervasive Data Intelligence.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Diego, California US